Listen to the text.

quinta-feira, 7 de abril de 2016

MUSEU VIVO DA FORD EM DETROIT

O Greenfield Village é como uma máquina do tempo que transporta o visitante aos anos 20 a bordo de um Modelo T


Casas, prédios e todo o visual das ruas permanecem iguais aos da década de 20, com direito a automóveis da época circulando | 


Caminhar pelas ruas da Greenfield Village, em Detroit, nos Estados Unidos, é como observar três séculos de história acontecendo bem diante dos seus olhos. Você terá a sensação de entrar em um museu vivo, que representa com maestria o cotidiano dos anos 20.

A Greenfield Village foi criada por Henry Ford (o fundador da Ford e o pai da linha de montagem moderna) para preservar casas e prédios importantes para a história americana. No auge de sua fortuna e poder, Henry comprou um enorme terreno com cerca 32 hectares e começou uma "coleção" de prédios. Comprou o laboratório de Thomas Edison, a casa de Noah Webster (onde ele escreveu o primeiro dicionário Webster), a loja e oficina dos irmãos Wright, a casa da fazenda da família Firestone, o tribunal onde Abraham Lincoln trabalhou, entre outros. Depois transportou, um a um, para Greenfield Village, construindo uma verdadeira minicidade histórica.

O Old Car Festival reúne modelo do século 19 | Crédito: divulgação

E o melhor de tudo: fez o local funcionar de verdade e até hoje quem trabalha ali se veste com roupas de época e desempenha as mesmas tarefas dos antigos proprietários.


| Crédito: divulgação

Os visitantes assistem a tudo e podem até participar de algumas atividades. Uma oficina gigantesca cuida de locomotivas e trens históricos - um deles ainda funciona e circula pela cidade. Assim como os Modelos T e A, que estão disponíveis para um passeio pela avenida principal, a Main Street. Vestidos a caráter, os motoristas atuam como guias, apresentando cada empreendimento e sua história.
| Crédito: divulgação

O local conta ainda com a casa onde o Henry Ford cresceu, além da réplica da escola onde estudou. No total são 83 edifícios históricos, organizados em sete distritos.

Durante o ano são promovidos vários eventos, entre eles, o Motor Muster, que reúne cerca de 500 modelos desde clássicos dos anos 30 até muscle cars da década de 70, além do Old Car Festival, que conta com modelos autênticos de 1890 até 1932.

| Crédito: divulgação

Serviço

Os ingressos custam US$ 26 para adulto e US$ 19,50 para crianças de 5 a 12 anos. Idosos a partir de 62 anos pagam US$ 23,50. O museu (thehenryford.org/village) abre diariamente de meados de abril até o fim de novembro. No primeiro trimestre, permanece fechado devido ao inverno.

| Crédito: divulgação






Fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti



Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

A cultura é o único antídoto que existe contra a ausência de amor.


Vamos compartilhar.


Imperial War Museum Duxford

Located around six miles south of Cambridge, IWM Duxford is situated on a former first and second world war RAF base. Much of the original RAF station is preserved either side of the A505 which cuts through the base, and the historic heart is sandwiched between the incredible Lord Foster designed American Air Museum and the recently constructed Airspace hanger.

A visit to Duxford is simply a must for any aviation enthusiast, and the atmosphere is only enhanced by the activity on the working airfield. Classic Wings operate pleasure flights from the airfield, and that ensures the sound of piston engines from the Tiger Moths and Dragon Rapides is constantly heard overhead. On summer visits it is also possible to see other historic aircraft honing their displays for the regular airshows.



History

The aerodrome at Duxford was constructed during the First World War and in September 1918 it opened as a flying school for the newly formed RAF. In 1924 Duxford became a fighter station, a role it was to carry out with distinction for 37 years.

In February 1940 one of the heroes of the Second World War was posted to No.19 Squadron at Duxford. Flying Officer Douglas Bader had lost his legs in an air crash several years earlier and had been discharged from the RAF. He would not permit his artificial limbs to deter him and soon showed himself to be a fine RAF pilot and leader during WW2.

In April 1943 the airfield was handed over to the United States 8th Air Force and Duxford now became Base 357 and the headquarters of the 78th Fighter Group.

During their stay the Americans had laid a perforated steel plate runway over the grass strip and the first RAF aircraft to return to Duxford after the war were Spitfires, soon to be replaced by Gloster Meteors. By 1951 a new concrete runway had been laid and a type T2 hangar built alongside the four WWI hangars. No.64 Squadron took on the last type of fighter to serve with the RAF at Duxford - the Gloster Javelin FAW7.

In July 1961 the last operational RAF flight was made from Duxford and for some 15 years the future of the airfield remained in the balance.

However, the Imperial War Museum had been looking for a suitable site for the storage, restoration and eventual display of large exhibits and obtained permission to use the airfield. Today Duxford is established as the European centre of aviation history.






Fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti

Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

A cultura é o único antídoto que existe contra a ausência de amor.

Vamos compartilhar.


Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum.

The Early Years

Smithsonian Aircraft Building


Built in 1918, the Aircraft Building housed most of the Museum's aviation collection for decades. Taken in 1938, this photo also shows a tank and artillery piece displayed by the front door.
Featured in National Air and Space Museum: An Autobiography

The Smithsonian's connection to flight began with the birth of the Institution, first headed by Joseph Henry, a physicist, balloon enthusiast, and sky-watcher. In 1861, Henry made a pivotal contribution to American aviation when he invited Thaddeus Sobieski Constantine Lowe to inflate his hot air balloon on the Smithsonian grounds. This demonstration eventually led to the birth of American aerial reconnaissance during the Civil War.

It is no wonder then, that the Smithsonian's aeronautical collection began well before 1976, when the National Air and Space Museum was constructed on the Mall in Washington, DC. One hundred years before, in 1876, a group of 20 beautiful kites was acquired from the Chinese Imperial Commission, seeding what would later become the largest collection of aviation and space artifacts in the world.


The collections of the Museum were first housed in the Arts and Industries (A&I) Building, then after World War I, expanded to a Quonset hut erected by the War Department behind the Smithsonian Castle. Affectionately known as the "Tin Shed," the new building opened to the public in 1920, and would remain in use for the next 55 years.

The National Air Museum



In 1946, President Harry Truman signed a bill establishing the Smithsonian's National Air Museum to memorialize the development of aviation; collect, preserve, and display aeronautical equipment; and provide educational material for the study of aviation. The legislation didn't provide for the construction of a new building; however, and the collection soon outgrew the Museum's exhibition space. Since there was no room left in the Arts and Industries Building or the "Tin Shed," WWII aircraft and other items such as engines and missiles were stored at an abandoned aircraft factory in Park Ridge, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. The U.S. Navy had a similar collection in storage for the Smithsonian at Norfolk, Va.

In 1951 as a result of the Korean War emergency, the Museum had to vacate the Park Ridge premises. In response to the immediate need for space, Paul Garber, the National Air Museum's first curator, located 21 acres in Silver Hill, Md., a suburb of Washington, D.C. With the addition of several prefabricated buildings the site became the storage area for the National Air Museum. Garber had managed to save the collection. To honor his achievement, the location was named the Paul E. Garber Preservation, Restoration and Storage Facility in 1980.

Joining the Space Age

Construction of the National Air and Space Museum
The National Air and Space Museum construction site, ca. 1972.
Opening its doors on July 1, 1976, the National Air and Space Museum quickly
became the most popular museum in the world.

Well before spaceflight became a reality, the Smithsonian took a leading role in funding one of America's most important rocket pioneers. In 1916, Robert Goddard wrote to Secretary Charles Greeley Abbot requesting a grant to support his research. The Smithsonian awarded him $5,000 to conduct his first practical experiments in rocketry, and eventually published his classic treatise, A Method of Reaching Extreme Altitudes.

Over the next fifty years, as the technology continued to advance, and as the collection expanded to include artifacts related to rocketry and spaceflight, it became clear that the Museum was entering a new phase. In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed a law that changed the name of the National Air Museum to the National Air and Space Museum to memorialize the development of both aviation and spaceflight. The Museum's collection on display expanded to include missiles and rockets, some of which were located outdoors near the Arts and Industries Building in an area that was known as "Rocket Row.

Funding to construct a new building was approved in 1971, and with the location determined: it would be on the National Mall between Fourth and Seventh Streets S.W., the Smithsonian Secretary, C. Dillon Ripley, hired former Apollo 11 astronaut Michael Collins as the National Air and Space Museum's director. Collins would guide the Museum through its construction, hire a team of top-notch professionals, oversee the creation of first-rate exhibits, and launch the Museum's Center for Earth and Planetary Studies. This new division was devoted to active research in analysis of lunar and planetary spacecraft data and the lead center for Earth observations and photography from the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project.

Groundbreaking took place on November 20, 1972 and in early 1975 the awesome task of filling the building with air- and spacecraft began. The goal of opening during America's bicentennial year was met, and the building was inaugurated with great fanfare on July 1, 1976.

The success of the Smithsonian's new National Air and Space Museum exceeded expectations. The five millionth visitor crossed the threshold only six months after opening day. Today, the National Air and Space Museum is one of the most visited museums in the world.


Expansion

Southwesterly View of Udvar-Hazy Center

The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia.

Two days before the 100th anniversary of the Wright brothers' historic 1903 flights, the Museum greeted the second century of flight by opening a spectacular new companion museum. Located on the grounds of Washington Dulles International Airport in Northern Virginia, the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center dwarfs the Museum in Washington, DC in size. It displays more than 150 aircraft in its huge Boeing Aviation Hangar and about as many rockets, missiles, satellites, and other spacecraft in its James S. McDonnell Space Hangar , with more artifacts being moved there all the time. The Center houses a new and larger restoration facility, an archives, collections processing unit, conservation laboratory, and collections storage for small objects.

The Flight Continues

The collection that started in 1876 with a group of 20 kites has grown to nearly 60,000 objects. A large portion of the major objects in the collection are on public display, either at the Museum or on loan to other Institutions around the world. Many more objects remain in storage. The Museum remains the preeminent American institution for memorializing flight, and for collecting, preserving, and presenting aviation and space technology. It also plays a pivotal role in planetary research. Today the Museum's Center for Earth and Planetary Studies has team members on all active missions to Mars (the Mars Exploration Rovers, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars Express spacecraft), Mercury (MESSENGER spacecraft), and the Moon (Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter).

What is to come will be limited only be the imaginations of future generations, many of whom will be inspired by a childhood visit to see the remarkable airplanes and spacecraft at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.






Fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti

Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

A cultura é o único antídoto que existe contra a ausência de amor.

Vamos compartilhar.