Google+ Followers

segunda-feira, 16 de janeiro de 2017

The Diefenbunker Museum & National Historic Site: An underground bunker built to protect the Canadian government from nuclear attack. --- Museu Diefenbunker. Um bunker subterrâneo construído para proteger o governo canadense de um ataque nuclear.



History of the Diefenbunker 



The Diefenbunker was commissioned by Prime Minister John Diefenbaker in 1959, as part of his government’s reaction to escalating tensions in the Cold War. The purpose of the bunker was to house key members of the government and military in the event of a nuclear attack on Canada. The safety of its nuclear roof would allow the Canadian government to operate safely underground for 30 days in order to assist with the governance and rebuilding of the country. A series of Emergency Government Headquarters bunkers were built across Canada and, as the largest, the federal government bunker would come to be known as the Central Emergency Government Headquarters (CEGHQ Carp).


When building began in 1959, it was a top-secret operation under the code name Project Emergency Army Signals Establishment (EASE). The former Montgomery farm in Carp was chosen as the perfect site for a 75 foot underground bunker: it was within evacuation distance of downtown Ottawa, it was in a natural valley, and it had the ideal geological conditions for protection.


The bunker was designed and engineered by the Foundation Company of Canada, and the project was led by LCol Ed Churchill. The entire construction process took less than 18 months, and was the first recorded use of critical path construction methodology in Canada. The bunker is 100,000 square feet over four levels. It is made of 32,000 cubic yards of hand –poured concrete and 5,000 tons of steel. It is an extraordinary marvel of engineering, and built to withstand a 5 megaton nuclear blast from 1.8 kilometers away.


The site was completed and began operation in 1961, and remained in continuous operation until it was decommissioned in 1994. During those 32 years, it was also Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Carp, with a staff of 100-150 people and a 24-hour shift rotation. It was the site of some of Canada’s most top-secret communications throughout the Cold War. At all times during its operation, the cupboards and pantries were stocked with enough fresh food and rations to feed 535 people for 30 days and the building was prepared to go into lockdown at any moment.


The Diefenbunker was given National Historic Site status in 1994, and CFS Carp was closed the same year. The building remained empty until the foundation of the museum in 1997.







Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

Cultura não é o que entra pelos olhos e ouvidos,
mas o que modifica o jeito de olhar e ouvir. 

A cultura e o amor devem estar juntos.

Vamos compartilhar.

Culture is not what enters the eyes and ears, 
but what modifies the way of looking and hearing.






--br via tradutor do google
Museu Diefenbunker. Um bunker subterrâneo construído para proteger o governo canadense de um ataque nuclear.

 Ottawa, Ontário, Canadá


História do Diefenbunker

O Diefenbunker foi encomendado pelo primeiro-ministro John Diefenbaker em 1959, como parte da reação de seu governo à escalada de tensões na Guerra Fria. O objetivo do bunker era abrigar membros-chave do governo e militares no caso de um ataque nuclear ao Canadá. A segurança de seu telhado nuclear permitiria que o governo canadense operasse com segurança subterrâneo por 30 dias, a fim de ajudar com a governança e reconstrução do país. Uma série de bunkers da sede do governo da emergência foi construída através de Canadá e, como o maior, o bunker do governo federal viria a ser sabido como a central Emergency Government Headquarters (CEGHQ Carp).


Quando o edifício começou em 1959, era uma operação top-secreta sob o nome de código Projeto Emergência Exército Sinais Estabelecimento (EASE). A antiga fazenda de Montgomery em Carp foi escolhida como o local perfeito para um bunker subterrâneo de 75 pés: estava a uma distância de evacuação do centro de Ottawa, era num vale natural e tinha as condições geológicas ideais para proteção.


O bunker foi projetado e projetado pela companhia da fundação de Canadá, eo projeto foi conduzido pelo LCcle Ed Churchill. Todo o processo de construção levou menos de 18 meses e foi o primeiro uso registrado da metodologia de construção do caminho crítico no Canadá. O bunker é 100.000 pés quadrados sobre quatro níveis. Ele é feito de 32.000 metros cúbicos de mão-betão de concreto e 5.000 toneladas de aço. É uma maravilha extraordinária de engenharia, e construído para suportar uma explosão nuclear de 5 megaton de 1,8 quilômetros de distância.


O local foi terminado e começou a operar-se em 1961, e permaneceu na operação contínua até que fosse desativado em 1994. Durante aqueles 32 anos, era também Carp da estação das forças canadenses (CFS) Carp, com um pessoal de 100-150 povos e um 24- Hora. Foi o local de algumas das comunicações mais secretas do Canadá durante a Guerra Fria. Durante todo o tempo de funcionamento, os armários e despensas foram abastecidos com comida fresca e rações suficientes para alimentar 535 pessoas durante 30 dias eo edifício foi preparado para entrar em lockdown a qualquer momento.


O Diefenbunker foi dado status de Local Histórico Nacional em 1994, e CFS Carp foi fechado no mesmo ano. O edifício permaneceu vazio até a fundação do museu em 1997.