Google+ Followers

segunda-feira, 28 de setembro de 2015

The San Telmo Museum has culminated a process of renewal and extension required to reach out to the public in this new 21st century.

The keystone to this project is the small architectonic "gem" incrusted in Mount Urgull and designed by the architects Nieto & Sobejano, featuring a characteristic facade covered in plants.

Headquarters in Urdaneta 

This new building, along with the 16th century Dominican convent housing the museum since 1932, made San Telmo a singular spot located right in the centre of San Sebastian, in the Old Town.

Sert's Paintings

The museum was set up in 1.900 on the proposal of the Bascongada Friends of the Country Economic Society. Following the success of the exhibitions held in the late 19th century in San Sebastian, a petition was raised to the Municipal Council to set up a Municipal Museum. The small budget assigned to the museum at the start made it impossible to make acquisitions of any great value and so consequently the Mayor, José Machimbarrena, appealed to the people of San Sebastian who immediately brought forth donations and deposits. These were the first objects that began this museum.

The Historical, Artistic and Archaeological Museum was inaugurated on 5th October 1902. Its initial headquarters were located on the corner of calles Andía and Garibai. Little by little, the museum got going thanks to new acquisitions and individual contributions. Very soon, the premises became too small and in 1905, the City Council started work on a building that would house the Arts and Profession School, the Municipal Library and the Museum. This new building, built on calle Urdaneta following a project by architect Domingo Aguirrebengoa, was inaugurated in 1911.

The museum continued to grow and soon lack of space became a problem once again. In 1932 a new move was proposed, this time to the Dominican convent of San Telmo, previously purchased and fitted out by the City Council.

For the inauguration, held on 3rd September 1932, the painter José María Sert was commissioned to provide paintings for the church walls. He thereby produced 11 canvases in Paris, glazes on a metal backing, narrating eleven scenes from the life and history of Gipuzkoa in a heroic and grandiose style: its men, its events and its beliefs.

The San Telmo Museum stands in the Old Town of San Sebastian, San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa, Espanha, in the pedestrian area, making it impossible to arrive by private vehicle although the Boulevard and Okendo car parks are close by.

FONTE: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário