Google+ Followers

domingo, 25 de outubro de 2015

Fort Museum, Fort, St. George (Chennai), India.

The Fort St. George Museum was organised and opened to the public from 31st January 1948. The museum began with a small collection of objects of the British Raj donated by the then Madras Presidency Government, the St. Mary's Church authorities, the disbanded army units and others. Over the years many objects were acquired by various means and there are now 3661 registered antiquities in the collection. Best among them (602) are on display in ten galleries.



The building housing the museum is one of the oldest surviving buildings built within the fort. The building was completed in 1795 and served as the location for Madras Bank. The museum building has a history of its own.

The antiquities are displayed in ten galleries spread over three floors. An imposing marble statue of Lord Cornwallis (1738-1805) greets the visitors. The statue, carved by Thomas Banks, was financed by funds raised from the public, depicts the scene of surrender of two sons of Tippu as hostages The lobby contains drawings showing the stages of constructions and renovations from 1640 onwards.

Arms like swords, daggers, rifles and pistols, mortars, petard, cannon shots, breast plates, helmets, baton, and fragments of shells fired at and in defence of Madras during the freak attacks during the World Wars, besides native weapons like bow and arrow.

The uniforms of various ranks of the British Army, ceremonial dress of Madras Governor's Bodyguards and the Under Secretary of Madras Government, regimental colours of various units and cushions used in the official investiture ceremony and about 64 medals and medallions issued by the British Government for honouring its soldiers in various battles they fought in the Indian sub-continent are displayed in the Uniform and Medals Gallery.

Various porcelains used as official tableware by the East India Company and similar ware of the Arcot Nawabs are displayed in the Porcelain Gallery. In the Portrait Gallery, portraits, oil paintings on canvas are displayed including those of George III and his consort, Queen Victoria and Robert Clive, Sir Arthur Havelock. Another interesting, painting is the earliest depiction of Fort St. George in 1738.

In the Miscellany Gallery various church silverware from the St. Mary's Church, and Zion Church, Tranquebar are displayed. The silverware of the former include the one donated by Elihu Yale, by whom, the Yale University in U.S.A was founded. There is a large-scale model of the fort as it stood in 19th century and locks and iron chests of East India Company and a palanquin of Arcot Nawabs. 

Objects on display in the Prints and Document Gallery include sketch prepared by the famous Thomas and his nephew William Daniell, Salt. H. Merke and others. Important among the document include few original letters written by Robert Clive and others. These prints, otherwise known as aquatints, essentially depicting Indian monuments and scenery, are laboriously prepared from an etched plate. 

The Indo-French Gallery contains exhibits like fine, decorated porcelain, clocks, stamps and coins issued by the French in India, furniture, lampshades and clocks. The artefacts of Wodeyars, an important native ruling family, like portraits, paintings of Mysore School, coins, flag and appreciation letters are on display in the Wodeyar’s Gallery. The prints, prepared by the Daniells and others, depicting various views of the fort, the buildings of old Madras, map of Madras are on display in the prints on Madras Gallery. These drawings throw light on the architectural history of the fort in particular and Madras and the vanished buildings in general.

Besides the above various coins issued by the 'presidential and unified mints of the British, Dutch, Portuguese and Danish are on display in the coin Gallery. 

In the Reserve Collection there are a number antiquities among which mention may be made of the First Marriage Register of the St. Mary's Church recording the marriage of Robert Clive, the bible used by Strenysham Master, who was instrumental in the construction of the church.



fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti

http://asi.nic.in/asi_museums_chennai.asp

Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

compartilhe!


--br
O Museu George Fort St. foi organizado e aberto ao público a partir de 31 de janeiro de 1948. O museu começou com uma pequena coleção de objetos do Raj britânico doado pelo então Governo Madras Presidência, autoridades da Igreja de St. Mary, as unidades do exército em debandada e outros. Ao longo dos anos muitos objetos foram adquiridas por vários meios e agora existem 3661 antiguidades registrados na coleção. Melhor entre eles (602) estão em exposição em dez galerias.

O edifício que abriga o museu é um dos edifícios mais antigos sobreviventes construídas dentro do forte. O edifício foi concluído em 1795 e serviu como o local para Madras Bank. O edifício do museu tem uma história própria.

As antiguidades são exibidos em dez galerias distribuídos em três andares. Uma imponente estátua de mármore do senhor Cornwallis (1738-1805) cumprimenta os visitantes. A estátua, esculpida por Thomas Banks, foi financiado por fundos obtidos junto do público, retrata a cena da rendição de dois filhos de Tippu como reféns O lobby contém desenhos mostrando as etapas de construções e renovações a partir de 1640.

Armas como espadas, adagas, rifles e pistolas, morteiros, petardo, tiros de canhão, placas de mama, capacetes, baton, e fragmentos de conchas disparados contra e em defesa de Madras durante os ataques anormal durante as Guerras Mundiais, além de armas nativas como arco e flecha.

Os uniformes de várias fileiras do Exército britânico, vestido cerimonial de guarda-costas de Madras governador e do subsecretário de Governo Madras, cores regimentais de várias unidades e almofadas usadas na cerimônia oficial de posse e cerca de 64 medalhas e medalhões emitidos pelo Governo britânico para honrar seus soldados em várias batalhas que lutaram na sub-continente indiano são exibidos na Medalhas Uniforme and Gallery.

Vários porcelanas usadas como utensílios de mesa oficial da Companhia das Índias Orientais e utensílios semelhantes dos nababos Arcot são exibidos na Galeria de porcelana. No Portrait Gallery, retratos, pinturas a óleo sobre tela são exibidas incluindo os de George III e sua consorte, a Rainha Victoria e Robert Clive, Sir Arthur Havelock. Outra interessante, a pintura é a mais antiga representação de Fort St. George, em 1738.

No Miscelânea Galeria talheres vários igreja da Igreja de St. Mary, e Zion Church, Tranquebar são exibidos. O troféu da ex-incluem o doado por Elihu Yale, por quem, da Universidade de Yale nos EUA foi fundada. Existe um modelo de grande escala do forte tal como se apresentava no século 19 e, fechaduras e ferrolhos e baús de ferro da Companhia das Índias Orientais um palanquim de Arcot nababos.

Objetos em exposição na Galeria de impressões e de documentos incluem esboço preparado pelo famoso Thomas e seu sobrinho William Daniell, Salt. H. Merke e outros. Importante entre o documento incluir letras originais escritas por Robert Clive e outros. Estas cópias, também conhecido como aquatints, essencialmente, representando monumentos indianos e cenário, são laboriosamente preparado a partir de uma placa gravada.

A Galeria Indo-francês contém exposições como finos, decorados porcelana, relógios, selos e moedas emitidas pelos franceses em Índia, móveis, luminárias e relógios. Os artefatos de Wodeyars, uma importante família governante nativo, como retratos, pinturas de Mysore School, moedas, bandeira e apreciação letras estão em exposição na Galeria do Wodeyar. As estampas, elaborados pelo Daniells e outros, que descrevem vários pontos de vista do forte, os edifícios da antiga Madras, mapa de Madras estão em exibição nas impressões em Madras Gallery. Estes desenhos lançar luz sobre a história da arquitetura do forte em particular e Madras e os edifícios desapareceram em geral.

Além das várias moedas emitidas pela acima das balas presidenciais e unificadas dos britânicos, Holandês, Português e Dinamarquês estão em exposição na Galeria moeda.

Na Coleção Reserve existem antiguidades número entre os quais pode ser feita menção do primeiro casamento Registo da Igreja do St. Mary gravando o casamento de Robert Clive, a bíblia usada por Strenysham Mestre, que foi fundamental para a construção da igreja.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário