Google+ Followers

sábado, 28 de novembro de 2015

As-Suwayda, Archaeological Museum, Syria -- As-Suwayda, o Museu Arqueológico, na Síria

As Suwayda , Suwaida or Sweida is Located 128 Km southeast of Damascus in southwestern Syria, at the eastern margin of the Hawran (or Houran) region in the foothills of Al-Duruz Mountains, close to the border with Jordan. Al-Suwayda' is now a local agricultural market centre. It has ruins of a 3rd-century Roman temple and a 5th-century

It is the capital of Muhafazat as Suwayda, one of Syria's 14 governorates, bordering Jordan in the South and the governorates of Daraa in the West and Rif Dimashq in the North and East.

The inhabitants of the town are mainly Druze with a prominent Greek orthodox minority; it is also the seat of a Greek Orthodox bishop. The population of the town was estimated in 2002 to be 87,000 .


Parthian Erote
Roman Mosaic IV ce. AD
As-Suwayda Museum, Syria



The Birth of Venus
Roman Mosaic IV ce. AD
As-Suwayda Museum, Syria


The Myth of Actaeon and the Parthian Erotes

ACTAEON: son of Aristaeus and Autonoe, a daughter of Cadmus. He was trained in the art of hunting by the centaur Cheiron, and was afterwards torn to pieces by his own 50 hounds on mount Cithaeron. The names of these hounds are given by Ovid (Met. iii. 206) and Hyginus (Fab. 181 ; comp. Stat. Theb. ii. 203.).

The cause of this misfortune is differently stated: according to some accounts it was because he hadnseen Artemis while she was bathing in the vale of Gargaphia, on the discovery of which the goddess changed him into a stag, in which form he was torn to pieces by his own dogs. (Ov. Met, iii. 155, &c. ; Hygin. Fab. 181 ; Callim. h. in Pallad. 1 10.).

Others relate that he provoked the anger of the goddess by his boasting that he excelled her in hunting, or by his using for a feast the game which was destined as a sacrifice to her. (Eurip. Bacch. 320; Diod. iv. 81.).

A third account stated that he was killed by his dogs at the command of Zeus, because he sued for the hand of Semele. (Acusilaus, ap. Apollod. iii. 4. § 4.).

Pausanias (ix. 2. § 3) saw near Orchomenos the rock on which Actaeon used to rest when he was fatigued by hunting, and from which he had seen Artemis in the bath; but he is of opinion that the whole story arose from the circumstance that Actaeon was destroyed by his dogs in a natural fit of madness.

Palaephatus (s. v. Actaeon) gives an absurd and trivial explanation of it. According to the Orchomenian tradition the rock of Actaeon was haunted by his spectre, and the oracle of Delphi commanded the Orchomenians to bury the remains of the hero, which they might happen to find, and fix an iron image of him upon the rock. This image still existed in the time of Pausanias (ix. 38. § 4), and the Orchomenians offered annual sacrifices to Actaeon in that place. The manner in which Actaeon and his mother were painted by Polygnotus in the Lesche of Delphi, is described by Pausanias. (x. 30. § 2 ; comp. Muller, Orchom. p. 348, &c.)
Roman Mosaic IV ce. AD  As-Suwayda Museum, Syria


---

The town was founded by the Nabataeans as Suada in the 1st century BC, afterwards it was called Dionysias during Hellenistic and Roman times, for Dionysus the god of wine - the town is situated in a famous ancient wine-producing region.


Main attractions and historical sites
As Suwayda has some archeological excavations of the ancient Nabataean, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine times, most notably the town’s Hellenistic agora, and the remnants of a big Byzantine church from the 6th century most probably the Church of Saint Sergius. the town has also many Roman time old houses that are still inhabited by locals, a conical pond, and a Roman amphitheatre still to be uncovered

Suweida museum has quite a large collection of interesting mosaics that resemble the ones found in the Shahba museum. Themes include Artemis taking a bath, and a banquet scene. There is also a fine collection of statues sculpted in the black basalt, although not as elegant as marble statues they deserve just as much credit. 

Shahba (Philippopolis) , a town at As Suwayda Governorate, was tthe birthplace of the Syrian Emperor Philip, who ruled the Roman Empire between 244 and 249 A.D., he dedicated himself to building the city up to a metropolis. The city was renamed Philippopolis in dedication to the emperor. The emperor is said to have wanted to turn the city into a replica of Rome itself. Temples, triumphal arches, baths, a theatre, and a great wall surrounding the city were all built based on the plan of a typical Roman city. The building of the city stopped abruptly after the death of Philip. Shahba today contains well-preserved ruins of the ancient Roman city. A museum located in the city exhibits some beautiful examples of Roman mosaic art.


Salkhad a Syrian city in the As Suwayda governorate. It has a population of 15,000 inhabitants and it is located at 1350 metres above sea level in the central Jabal el Druze highlands.
Mentioned several times in the Bible as "Salcah", as a settlement in biblical Bashan. During the second century BC Salcah was a flourishing Nabataean city, where the gods Dushara and Allat were worshiped. Afterwards it was incorporated into the Roman province of Arabia, it was one of the important citys in Hauran during Roman and later Byzantine epochs, Salkhad is indicated in the Madaba mosaic map of the sixth century AD.

Due to the strategic position of the city overlooking Hauran plains to the west, the Ayyubid dynasty built a fortress in Salkhad between 1214 - 1247 to counter a possible attack of the Crusades into inner Hauran.

The importance of the city decreased after the Crusades, and it was occasionally overrun by Bedouins seeking pasture in the summer for their flocks.

A number of Greek orthodox Christians, of Ghassanid ancestry, successively remained in the region. Salkhad and the adjacent region were re-inhabited by Druze families from Mount Lebanon in the late 17th , 18th ,and 19th centuries.

During Ottoman times the city enjoyed a feudal-type autonomy like much of the Jabal el Druze area under the chieftaincy of Al-Hamdan family and later Al-Atrash family, many battles against Ottoman Turks took place in this region by the locals to maintain their autonomy.

In the early 20th century the city was part of the 1921-1936 Druze state under the French Mandate of Syria, the state was gradually incorporated into Syria after the Syrian Revolution of 1925-1927 led by Sultan Al-Atrash.


The fortress of Salkhad is the most important monument located in a hill inside the city , built between 1214-1247 by the Ayyubid dynasty as a part of their defences against the crusades. It is said that this fortress were built in the site of older Roman fortifications. A hexagonal basalt minaret still standing intact in the city’s main square. Many Roman old time houses, still partially inhabited by locals. Nabatean, Roman and Ayyubid Tombs with decorative motifs.

Qanawat was a city of great importance during the Roman period. In the year 60 B.C., the Romans named it one of the Decapolis league of commercial cities of which Damascus was the chief city. Its importance explains the richness of its ruins, which are among the most interesting in the whole Jabal Al-Arab region. Here can be found two palaces built by the Romans in approximately the second century. These basilica shaped buildings grouped around an atrium were adopted in the fourth through the fifth centuries by Christians. The ruined tower at the corner of one of the buildings is most probably the remains of a late addition to the Christian church. The tower is typical of the embellishments added to the Churches in northern Syria. The Christians having used much of the original classical stoneware, the buildings are beautifully decorated.

Today in Qanawat the visitor can also see the remains of a Roman mausoleum, a small theater with nine rows of seats, a water fountain and a temple of Helios; a lesser version of the temples at Palmyra and Baalbeck. On the side there is also another temple from the second century dedicated to Zeus




http://www.homsonline.com/EN/Citeis/Suwayda.htm
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/69716881@N02/sets/72157630287845510

Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

vamos compartilhar.


--br
As Suwayda, Suwaida ou Sweida está localizado 128 km ao sudeste de Damasco, no sudoeste da Síria, na margem oriental do Hawran (ou Houran) região no sopé da Al-Duruz Mountains, perto da fronteira com a Jordânia. Al-Suwayda 'é agora um centro mercado agrícola local. Ele tem ruínas de um templo romano do século 3-e de um século quinta-
É a capital de Muhafazat como Suwayda, uma das 14 províncias da Síria, na fronteira com a Jordânia no sul e as províncias de Daraa no Ocidente e Rif Dimashq no Norte e Leste.

Os habitantes da cidade são drusos principalmente com um proeminente minoria ortodoxa grega; é também a sede de um bispo ortodoxo grego. A população da cidade foi estimada em 2002 para ser 87.000

-
A cidade foi fundada pelos nabateus como Suada no século 1 aC, depois que foi chamado Dionysias durante helenística e romana vezes, por Dionísio o deus do vinho - a cidade está situado em uma região produtora de vinho antigo e famoso.


Principais atrações e locais históricos
As Suwayda tem algumas escavações arqueológicas da antiga Nabataean, helenística, romana e tempos bizantinos, mais notavelmente ágora helenísticas da cidade, e os restos de uma grande igreja bizantina do século 6, muito provavelmente, a Igreja de São Sérgio. a cidade tem também muitos época romana casas antigas que ainda são habitadas por moradores locais, um lago cônica, e um anfiteatro romano ainda para ser descoberto

Museu Suweida tem bastante uma grande coleção de mosaicos interessantes que lembram os encontrados no museu Shahba. Os temas incluem Artemis tomar um banho, e uma cena de banquete. Há também uma bela coleção de estátuas esculpidas em basalto negro, embora não tão elegante como estátuas de mármore que merecem tanto crédito.

Shahba (Philippopolis), uma cidade em As Suwayda Governorate, foi a reconstrução da casa local de nascimento do imperador sírio Philip, que governou o Império Romano entre 244 e 249 dC, dedicou-se à construção da cidade até uma metrópole. A cidade foi rebatizada Philippopolis na dedicação ao imperador. O imperador disse ter queria transformar a cidade em uma réplica da própria Roma. Templos, arcos triunfais, banhos, um teatro e um grande muro que cerca a cidade foram construídos com base no plano de uma cidade típica romana. O edifício da cidade parou abruptamente após a morte de Philip. Shahba hoje contém bem preservadas ruínas da antiga cidade romana. Um museu localizado na cidade exibe alguns belos exemplos de arte do mosaico romano.


Salkhad uma cidade síria na governadoria As Suwayda. Tem uma população de 15.000 habitantes e está localizado na 1350 metros acima do nível do mar nas terras altas centrais Jabal el drusos.
Mencionado várias vezes na Bíblia como "Salcá", como uma solução em Basan bíblica. Durante o século II aC Salcá era uma cidade florescente Nabataean, onde os deuses Dushara e Allat eram adorados. Posteriormente, foi incorporado na província romana da Arábia, era uma das cidades importantes em Hauran durante épocas romana e bizantina mais tarde, Salkhad é indicado no mapa em mosaico de Madaba de século VI dC.

Devido à posição estratégica da cidade com vista para planície Hauran, a oeste, a dinastia Ayyubid construiu uma fortaleza em Salkhad entre 1214 - 1247 para combater um possível ataque das Cruzadas em Hauran interior.

A importância da cidade diminuiu após as Cruzadas, e foi ocasionalmente invadido por beduínos que procuram pasto no verão para os seus rebanhos.

Um número de gregos cristãos ortodoxos, de Ghassanid ascendência, manteve-se sucessivamente na região. Salkhad ea região adjacente foram re-habitada por famílias drusos do Monte Líbano no final 17, 18 e 19 séculos.

Durante tempos otomanos da cidade desfrutou de uma autonomia de tipo feudal como muito da área de Jabal el druso sob a chefia da família Al-Hamdan e mais tarde a família Al-Atrash, muitas batalhas contra os turcos otomanos ocorreu nesta região pelos moradores para manter a sua autonomia.

No início do século 20 a cidade era parte do estado 1921-1936 druso sob o Mandato francês de Syria, o estado foi gradualmente incorporado para a Síria depois da Revolução síria de 1925-1927 conduzido por Sultan Al-Atrash.


A fortaleza de Salkhad é o mais importante monumento localizado em uma colina no interior da cidade, construída entre 1214-1247 pela dinastia Ayyubid como uma parte de suas defesas contra as cruzadas. Diz-se que esta fortaleza foi construída no local de fortificações romanas mais velhos. Um minarete basalto hexagonal ainda se mantém intacto na praça principal da cidade. Muitas casas velhas do tempo dos romanos, ainda parcialmente habitada por moradores. Nabatean, Roman e Ayyubid Túmulos com motivos decorativos.

Qanawat era uma cidade de grande importância durante o período romano. No ano 60 aC, os romanos nomeou-o um dos liga Decápole das cidades comerciais de que Damasco era a principal cidade. Sua importância explica a riqueza das suas ruínas, que estão entre as mais interessantes em toda a região Jabal Al-Arab. Aqui podem ser encontrados dois palácios construídos pelos romanos em aproximadamente do segundo século. Estes edifícios em forma de basílica agrupados em torno de um átrio foram adotados no quarto através do quinto séculos por cristãos. A torre arruinada no canto de um dos edifícios é muito provavelmente os restos de uma adição tardia para a igreja cristã. A torre é típico dos enfeites adicionados às Igrejas no norte da Síria. Os cristãos de ter usado a maior parte do grés clássico original, os prédios são lindamente decorados.

Hoje em Qanawat o visitante também pode ver os restos de um mausoléu romano, um pequeno teatro com nove fileiras de assentos, uma fonte de água e um templo de Helios; uma versão menor dos templos em Palmyra e Baalbeck. No lado há também um outro templo a partir do segundo século dedicado a Zeus

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário