Google+ Followers

sábado, 28 de novembro de 2015

The Jewish Museum in Lithuania. -- O Museu Judaico na Lituânia.

The first Jewish museum was established in Vilnius (then Vilna) in 1913 through the efforts of the Society of Lovers of Jewish Antiquity. The activities of this society and museum were interrupted with the outbreak of the First World War. In 1919, noted Jewish writer Sholom Zanvil Rapoport (better known under the pseudonym of Sh. An-sky) revived the society, renamed the Lithuanian-Belorussian Society for Jewish History and Ethnography. The Jewish Museum was re-established in 1920 and named posthumously after Sh. An-sky.


When Vilnius was occupied by Polish troops that same year, the Jewish History and Ethnography Society continued its work in Kaunas, the interim Lithuanian Capital. In 1931, the Society finally established a Jewish museum, similar to its predecessor in Vilnius. On the eve of the Second World War, the Museum housed over 3000 objects and 6000 books, as well as other valuable items, such as letters, memoirs, and pinkasim (Jewish Community’s chronicles). In addition, there were more than a hundred thousand documents, photographs, newspaper issues, etc. Original texts of the privileges (charters) granted to Jews by the Grand Dukes the late Middle Ages, were considered the most valuable museum item.



With the annexation of Lithuania by the Soviet Union in 1940, the museum was placed under the supervision of the People's Commissariat (Ministry) of Education and lost its independent status. In May 1941 the museum was handed over to the Soviet Lithuanian Academy of Science.

Another Jewish museum was established in Polish Wilno (as Vilnius was then called) in 1925. It was known as the Theater Museum of the Institute for Jewish Research, or YIVO. Uma Olkienicka was the director of the museum. The collection was centered around the personal archives of well-known actress Esther Rochl Kaminski. The researchers of YIVO continued to collect material and planned to establish various Jewish museums dedicated to education, art, ethnography, sports and literature.

With the establishment in 1940 of the Soviet regime in Lithuania many Jewish institutions were abolished. The country’s Jewish communities and Hebrew-language institutions ceased to exist. Most periodicals were shut down. The YIVO Institute, the Sh.An-sky Museum and the Jewish History and Ethnography Museum in Kaunas fell under the jurisdiction of the People's Commissariat of Education. Many staff workers and some directors of these institutions were arrested and dismissed. Remaining staff were forced to re-orientate their activities. Even in an atmosphere of repression and under strict control by the authorities, these institutions continued their creative work. In 1941, just prior to the Nazi invasion, YIVO successfully inaugurated a large exposition dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the birth of Jewish writer Itzhak Leybush Peretz.

Historical and cultural work did not stop even with the outbreak of the war. The ghetto intellectuals strived to save the Jewish nation s cultural and historical heritage. They urged other inmates to preserve items of historical and cultural value, even in the difficult ghetto conditions. A museum was established in Vilnius to preserve such items. German and Lithuanian documents were collected. These included orders and regulations issued on the Jewish question, and eyewitness accounts, especially those of mass murders, and other Nazi cruelties.

In September 1941, the Nazis established the Vilnius and Kaunas divisions of the Alfred Rosenberg Headquarters. The goal of these units was to collect Lithuania’s Jewish artistic and cultural valuables, which amounted to the plundering and destruction of a large portion of Lithuanian Jewry’s cultural heritage. The Strashun, Balosher, and YIVO libraries, the Sh. An-sky Museum and the Kaunas Society of History and Ethnography were ransacked. A group of approximately twenty inmates from the Vilnius ghetto were forced to assist the Rosenberg Headquarters in this infamous work. Those Jewish intellectuals risked their lives to save the valuable items. The brigade of the twenty included Abraham Sutzkever and Shmerl Kaczerginski, future founders of the post-war Vilnius Jewish museum. Some Lithuanian non-Jewish intellectuals, such as Assistant Professor M. Abramowicz, Vilnius University librarian Ona Šimaitė, and writer Kazys Boruta, helped the Jews in their endeavors. In the ghetto, special hiding places were prepared to store the rescued items.

In the summer of 1944, while the Second World War still raged, a Jewish museum, the only one in the Soviet Union, was established in Vilnius. Jewish survivors who returned to the city founded the museum shortly after the withdrawal of Nazi troops. Soviet authorities could not understand the need for such an institution. Nevertheless in late August of that year a committee for collecting material under the aegis of the Ministry of Education was established, although it was not until the end of 1944 that the Jewish Museum was officially registered under the authority of the Soviet Lithuanian Ministry of Culture. Writer Shmerl Kaczerginski became director. His apartment was chosen as the first site for the museum which in the beginning had no other premises. The activities of that institution were not typical of a museum. Apart from collecting and preserving the Jewish cultural heritage, they also listed the addresses of returning Jewish survivors. The museum received numerous letters from across the Soviet Union and abroad with inquiries about people's relatives and acquaintances, the majority of whom were victims of WWII. The museum became the spiritual and cultural center for Vilnius Jews where all current problems facing the community were discussed. The museum leadership dealt with the highest echelons of power as a representative of the Jewish people. The museum ultimately found a home in the former ghetto library and jail buildings at 6 Strashun (now Žemaitijos) street. Surviving Jewish cultural treasures were brought to this location from numerous hiding places. The museum undertook a number of tasks. These included the preservation of what remained of the Jewish cultural heritage, collection historical material, preparation of expositions and preservation of mass murder sites and other important Jewish sites.

Each item pertaining to Jewish heritage that could still be found, and had not been destroyed by the Nazis, was brought to the Jewish Museum. These included books, manuscripts, periodicals, archives of Jewish pre-war institutions and societies, archives of the YIVO and the Jewish Community, as well as Judaic ceremonial objects. Among the surviving objects were the works of 47 Jewish sculptors, as well as a collection of paintings by Mane Katz, Max Band, Feferman and Mergoszilski . A lot of material, especially archive documents, was discovered in cellars, attics, and various other hiding places. The most serious obstacle was the difficulty involved in physically bringing the numerous items to the museum site. Since Soviet authorities could not fully appreciate the value of the surviving Jewish artifacts, most of the items were doomed to destruction, and were removed to paper-recycling factories.

The first museum exhibition was titled "The Brutal Destruction of the Jews during the German Occupation". This reflected the most relevant Jewish theme for those days. Exhibitions on the Vilnius and Kaunas ghettos, the Paneriai murder site, and Jewish literature were soon added.

A resolution dated June 10, 1949, passed by the Council of Ministers of Soviet Lithuania, ostensibly meant to reorganize the Jewish Museum into the Vilnius Local History Museum, in fact meant the museum's abolition. Their rich collection was sent to various institutions. The resolution allowed the transfer of ethnographic material to the Local History Museum, exhibits for revolutionary events to the State History and Revolution Museum, and objects of artistic value to the Art Affairs Board. The books were passed to Soviet Lithuania‘s Book Chamber. All remaining inventory was handed over to the Librarians Training College. Archive materials were placed in storage in the Lithuanian Central State Archives. Lastly, the museum building was handed over to the Committee for Cultural and Educational Institutions.

The new Local History Museum and its expositions, such as The Achievements of Vilnius Industry through the Post-War, Stalin's Five-year Term and the Cultural Heritage of the City of Vilnius in the Post-War period had nothing to do with the Jewish theme and could not meet the needs of Lithuanian Jews.

Throughout the Soviet period, the existence of a Jewish museum or any Jewish institution in Soviet Lithuania was impossible. Only the Paneriai and Kaunas 9th Fort memorials made vague reference to the Jews, as victims of the Holocaust. Jewish history and heritage seemed doomed to total obliteration.

The situation suddenly changed with the Perestroyka reforms in the late 1980s. On September 6, 1989, the Government of Soviet Lithuania passed Resolution No. 177p. This resolution permitted the re-opening of the Jewish Museum after 50 years of non-existence. Governmental Resolution No. 56p, dated February 13, 1991, authorized the return of most of the stored artifacts from the post-war Jewish Museum to the re-established Jewish State Museum of Lithuania. The same year, the M. K. Čiurlionis Art Gallery in Kaunas donated the surviving objects it had in storage from the Kaunas Society of History and Ethnography to the new Jewish institution. These treasures became the basis for the Jewish Museum's collection. In 1997, on the 200th anniversary of the death of renowned Torah scholar the Gaon of Vilna, our institution was renamed the Vilna Gaon State Jewish Museum.


http://www.jmuseum.lt/index.aspx?Element=ViewArticle&TopicID=6


Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

Vamos compartilhar.



--BR - via tardutor do google

O primeiro museu judaico foi criado em Vilnius (Vilna em seguida) em 1913, através dos esforços da Sociedade dos Amantes da Antiguidade Judaica. As actividades desta sociedade museu e foram interrompidos com a eclosão da Primeira Guerra Mundial. Em 1919, observou escritor judeu Sholom Zanvil Rapoport (mais conhecido sob o pseudônimo de Sh. An-céu) reavivou a sociedade, renomeou a Sociedade lituano-bielorrussa de História Judaica e Etnografia. O Museu Judaico foi re-estabelecida em 1920 e nomeado postumamente após Sh. An-céu.


Quando Vilnius foi ocupada por tropas polonesas que mesmo ano, a História Judaica e Etnografia Sociedade prosseguiu o seu trabalho em Kaunas, a capital da Lituânia interino. Em 1931, a Sociedade finalmente estabeleceu um museu judaico, semelhante ao seu antecessor em Vilnius. Na véspera da Segunda Guerra Mundial, o Museu abrigou mais de 3000 objetos e 6000 livros, bem como outros artigos valiosos, tais como cartas, memórias e pinkasim (crônicas da Comunidade Judaica). Além disso, havia mais de cem mil documentos, fotografias, edições de jornais, etc. textos originais dos privilégios (charters) concedidos aos judeus pelo Grão-Duques do final da Idade Média, foram considerados o item mais valioso museu.




Com a anexação da Lituânia pela União Soviética em 1940, o museu foi colocado sob a supervisão do Comissariado do Povo (Ministério) de Educação e perdeu seu status independente. Em maio de 1941, o museu foi entregue para a Academia Soviética de Ciências da Lituânia.

Outro museu judaico foi criada em polonês Wilno (Vilnius como era então chamado) em 1925. Ele era conhecido como o Museu do Teatro do Instituto de Investigação judaica, ou YIVO. Uma Olkienicka foi o diretor do museu. A coleção foi centrado em torno dos arquivos pessoais da atriz bem conhecida Esther Rochl Kaminski. Os pesquisadores de YIVO continuou a coletar o material e planejado para estabelecer vários museus judeus dedicados à educação, a arte, a etnografia, esportes e literatura.

Com a criação em 1940 do regime soviético na Lituânia muitas instituições judaicas foram abolidas. Comunidades judaicas do país e as instituições do idioma hebraico deixou de existir. A maioria dos jornais foram fechados. O Instituto YIVO, o Sh.An-céu Museu ea História Judaica e Etnografia Museu em Kaunas caiu sob a jurisdição do Comissariado do Povo da Educação. Muitos trabalhadores de pessoal e alguns diretores dessas instituições foram presos e demitidos. Funcionários restantes foram obrigados a reorientar as suas actividades. Mesmo em uma atmosfera de repressão e sob estrito controle das autoridades, essas instituições continuaram o seu trabalho criativo. Em 1941, pouco antes da invasão nazista, YIVO inaugurou com sucesso uma grande exposição dedicada ao 90º aniversário do nascimento do escritor judeu Itzhak Leybush Peretz.

Trabalho histórico e cultural não parou, mesmo com a eclosão da guerra. Os intelectuais do gueto se esforçado para salvar herança cultural e histórica da nação judaica s. Instaram outros presos para preservar itens de valor histórico e cultural, mesmo em condições difíceis do gueto. Um museu foi criado em Vilnius para preservar tais itens. Foram coletados documentos alemães e lituanos. Estes incluíram ordens e regulamentos emitidos sobre a questão judaica, e relatos de testemunhas oculares, especialmente os de assassinatos em massa e outras atrocidades nazistas.

Em setembro de 1941, os nazistas criaram as divisões de Vilnius e Kaunas da Sede Rosenberg Alfred. O objetivo dessas unidades era coletar objetos de valor artístico e cultural judaica da Lituânia, que somaram a pilhagem ea destruição de grande parte do património cultural lituano judeus. O Strashun, Balosher e bibliotecas YIVO, o Sh. An-céu Museu ea Sociedade Kaunas de História e Etnografia foram saqueados. Um grupo de cerca de vinte prisioneiros do gueto de Vilnius foram forçados a ajudar os Sede Rosenberg neste trabalho infame. Esses intelectuais judeus arriscaram suas vidas para salvar os itens valiosos. A brigada do vigésimo incluído Abraham Sutzkever e Shmerl Kaczerginski, futuros fundadores do pós-guerra Vilnius museu judaico. Alguns intelectuais não-judeus lituanos, como Professor Assistente de M. Abramowicz, bibliotecário Universidade de Vilnius Ona Šimaitė, e escritor Kazys Boruta, ajudou os judeus em seus empreendimentos. No gueto, lugares especiais esconderijos estavam preparados para armazenar os itens resgatados.

No verão de 1944, enquanto a Segunda Guerra Mundial ainda se enfureceu, um museu judaico, o único na União Soviética, foi criada em Vilnius. Sobreviventes judeus que retornaram à cidade fundou o museu logo após a retirada das tropas nazistas. Autoridades soviéticas não conseguia entender a necessidade de uma instituição desse tipo. No entanto, no final de agosto do mesmo ano uma comissão de recolha de material sob a égide do Ministério da Educação foi estabelecida, embora não tenha sido até o final de 1944 que o Museu Judaico foi oficialmente registrada sob a autoridade do lituano Ministério da Cultura Soviética. Escritor Shmerl Kaczerginski se tornou diretor. Seu apartamento foi escolhido como o primeiro local para o museu que no início não tinha outras instalações. As actividades desta instituição não eram típicos de um museu. Além de coletar e preservar o património cultural judaica, eles também listados os endereços de retornar sobreviventes judeus. O museu recebeu numerosas cartas de toda a União Soviética e no exterior com perguntas sobre parentes e conhecidos das pessoas, a maioria dos quais foram vítimas da Segunda Guerra Mundial. O museu se tornou o centro espiritual e cultural para os judeus Vilnius, onde foram discutidos todos os problemas atuais enfrentados pela comunidade. A liderança museu lidou com os mais altos escalões do poder como um representante do povo judeu. O museu em última análise, encontrou uma casa na biblioteca gueto e prisão edifícios antigos em 6 Strashun (agora Zemaitijos) rua. Sobrevivendo tesouros culturais judaicas foram trazidos a este local a partir de inúmeros esconderijos. O museu realizou uma série de tarefas. Estes incluíram a preservação do que restou da herança cultural judaica, coleta de material histórico, preparação de exposições e preservação de locais dos assassinatos em massa e outros locais judaicos importantes.

Cada item pertencente a herança judaica que ainda poderia ser encontrado, e não tinha sido destruído pelos nazistas, foi trazido para o Museu Judaico. Estes incluíram livros, manuscritos, periódicos, arquivos de instituições judaicas pré-guerra e sociedades, arquivos do YIVO e da Comunidade Judaica, bem como objetos cerimoniais judaicos. Entre os objetos sobreviventes foram as obras de 47 escultores judeus, bem como uma coleção de pinturas de Mane Katz, Max Band, Feferman e Mergoszilski. Um monte de material, especialmente os documentos de arquivo, foi descoberto em porões, sótãos, e vários outros esconderijos. O obstáculo mais grave foi a dificuldade em trazer fisicamente os inúmeros itens para o site do museu. Desde autoridades soviéticas não poderia apreciar plenamente o valor dos artefatos judeus sobreviventes, a maioria dos itens foram condenados à perdição, e foram removidos para fábricas de reciclagem de papel.

A primeira exposição do museu foi intitulado "A destruição brutal dos judeus durante a ocupação alemã". Isso refletiu o tema judaico mais relevante para aqueles dias. Exposições sobre os guetos de Vilnius e Kaunas, local do assassinato do Paneriai e literatura judaica foram adicionados em breve.

Uma resolução de 10 de Junho de 1949, aprovada pelo Conselho de Ministros da Lituânia Soviética, ostensivamente destinadas a reorganizar o Museu Judaico para o Museu de História Local Vilnius, na verdade significava abolição do museu. Sua rica coleção foi enviada para várias instituições. A resolução permitiu a transferência de material etnográfico do Museu de História local, exposições para eventos revolucionários à história do Estado e Museu da Revolução, e objetos de valor artístico ao Conselho dos Assuntos de arte. Os livros foram passados ​​para reservar Câmara de Soviética Lituânia. Todo o estoque restante foi entregue ao Training College bibliotecários. Materiais de arquivo foi colocada em depósito no Arquivo Central do Estado da Lituânia. Por último, o edifício do museu foi entregue ao Comité para instituições culturais e educacionais.

O novo local Museu de História e suas exposições, como as conquistas de Vilnius Indústria através do Pós-Guerra, cinco anos Prazo de Stalin e do Património Cultural da Cidade de Vilnius no período pós-guerra não tinha nada a ver com o tema judaico e não poderia atender às necessidades dos judeus lituanos.

Durante todo o período soviético, a existência de um museu ou de uma instituição judaica judaico na Lituânia soviética era impossível. Somente o Paneriai e Kaunas 9 Fort memoriais feitos vaga referência aos judeus, como vítimas do Holocausto. História e herança judaica parecia condenado a obliteração total.

A situação mudou de repente com as reformas perestroyka no final de 1980. Em 6 de Setembro, 1989, o Governo da Lituânia Soviética aprovou a Resolução No. 177p. Esta resolução permitido a reabertura do Museu Judaico após 50 anos de não-existência. Governamental Resolução nº 56p, datado de 13 de fevereiro de 1991, autorizou o retorno da maioria dos artefatos armazenados do Museu do pós-guerra judaica ao Jewish Museum Estado da Lituânia re-estabelecida. No mesmo ano, a Galeria de Arte MK Čiurlionis em Kaunas doou os objetos de sobrevivência que tinha em armazém da Sociedade Kaunas de História e Etnografia à nova instituição judaica. Estes tesouros se tornou a base para a coleção do Museu Judaico. Em 1997, no 200º aniversário da morte do renomado estudioso da Torá o Gaon de Vilna, nossa instituição foi rebatizado o Estado Jewish Museum Vilna Gaon.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário