Google+ Followers

sábado, 20 de fevereiro de 2016

Skagens Museum, Skagen, Denmark.

Skagens Museum is an art museum in Skagen, Denmark, which exhibits an extensive collection of works by members of the colony of Skagen Painters who lived and worked in the area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Important artists include Maria and P. S. Krøyer, Anna and Michael Ancher, Laurits Tuxen, Viggo Johansen and Holger Drachmann. The museum also hosts special exhibitions. 

Its facilities include a café located in the Garden House, an old building which for a while served as home residence and studio of Anna and Michael Ancher.

Skagens Museum was founded on 20 October 1908 in the dining room at Brøndums Hotel. Among the founders were artists Michael Ancher, P.S. Krøyer and Laurits Tuxen, who were elected to form the first board of governors together with Victor Christian Klæbel, the local pharmacist, and Degn Brøndum, proprietor of Brøndums Hotel and Anna Ancher's brother. The idea was to collect works by the Skagen Painters and to raise funds for the construction of a building for their exhibition. It was also decided that the Brøndums Hotel's dining room should, in due time, be transferred to the new museum once it had been built. It had served as an important venue for the members of the artist colony ever since its formation in the 1870s.

The first exhibitions were arranged in the local technical school. After P.S. Krøyer’s death in 1909, his house in Skagen Plantation was used as a temporary venue for the museum.

In 1919, Degn Brøndum donated the old garden of his hotel for the construction of a purpose-built museum. The architect Ulrik Plesner was charged with its design. He was an active member of the artistic community in Skagen and had already designed a number of buildings in the area. The building was financed by a combination of private donors and foundations with Degn Brøndum, Laurits Tuxen and the Ny Carlsberg Foundation as the largest contributors. Construction started in 1926 and the new museum was officially opened on 22 September 1928.

In 1982, the exhibition rooms were extended with an annex designed by the Royal Surveyor, architect Jacob Blegvad. Blegvad also planned the later extension to the museum that was inaugurated in 1989.

In 1997, the museum administration moved into the Technical School.

Today Skagens Museum has more than 1,800 works of art at its disposal. All important members of the artist colony are represented in the collections with central works, including Maria and P. S. Krøyer, Anna and Michael Ancher, Laurits Tuxen, Viggo Johansen and Holger Drachmann.

The museum also hosts special exhibitions.

fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti

Cultura e conhecimento são ingredientes essenciais para a sociedade.

A cultura é o único antídoto que existe contra a ausência de amor.

Vamos compartilhar.

Um comentário:

  1. The museum was merged with the two artist homes Anchers Hus and Drachmanns Hus in 2015 and now has a collection of 9000 works. Skagens Museum was renoavated and expanded from 2014-2016, and now has twice as much space as before :)