Google+ Followers

quarta-feira, 13 de abril de 2016

The Museum first opened its doors on 18 April 1881, but its origins stretch back to 1753 and the generous offer of a renowned doctor, Sir Hans Sloane.

The Museum is a world-class visitor attraction and leading science research centre.



We use our unique collections and unrivalled expertise to tackle the biggest challenges facing the world today.

We care for more than 80 million specimens spanning billions of years and welcome more than five million visitors annually.



The Museum first opened its doors on 18 April 1881, but its origins stretch back to 1753 and the generous offer of a renowned doctor, Sir Hans Sloane. 

Sloane travelled the world treating royalty and members of high society, while fulfilling his passion for collecting natural history specimens and cultural artefacts along the way. 

After his death in 1753, Sloane's will allowed Parliament to buy his extensive collection of more than 71,000 items for £20,000 - significantly less than its estimated value. 

The government agreed to purchase Sloane’s collection and then built the British Museum so these items could be displayed to the public.

In 1856 Sir Richard Owen - a brilliant natural scientist who came up with the name for dinosaurs - left his role as curator of the Hunterian Museum and took charge of the British Museum’s natural history collection.

Unhappy with the lack of space for its ever-growing collection of natural history specimens, Owen convinced the British Museum's board of trustees that a separate building was needed to house these national treasures.




An rough architectural plan drawn by Richard Owen in 1859 entitled 'Idea of a Museum of Natural History'. The plan was referred to by Alfred Waterhouse in the creation of the Natural History Museum, London.

In 1864 Francis Fowke, the architect who designed the Royal Albert Hall and parts of the Victoria and Albert Museum, won a competition to design the Natural History Museum.

When he unexpectedly died a year later, the relatively unknown Alfred Waterhouse took over and came up with a new plan for the South Kensington site.

Waterhouse used terracotta for the entire building as this material was more resistant to Victorian London's harsh climate.

The result is one of Britain’s most striking examples of Romanesque architecture, which is considered a work of art in its own right and has become one of London's most iconic landmarks.




A cathedral to nature
While the building reflects Waterhouse’s characteristic architectural style, it is also a monument to Owen’s vision of what a museum should be.

In the mid-nineteenth century, museums were expensive places visited only by the wealthy few, but Owen insisted the Natural History Museum should be free and be accessible to all.

Victorian explorers’ regularly unearthed new species of exotic animals and plants from all over the British Empire, and Owen wanted a building big enough to display these new discoveries in what he called a cathedral to nature.

Owen's foresight has allowed the Museum to display very large creatures such as whales, elephants and dinosaurs, including the beloved Diplodocus cast that has been on display at the Museum for the past 100 years.

He also demanded that the Museum be decorated with ornaments inspired by natural history. And he insisted that the specimens of extinct and living species kept apart at a time when Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution was revealing the links between them.

Along with incorporating Owen’s ideas into his plans, Waterhouse also designed an incredible series of animal and plant ornaments, statues and relief carvings throughout the entire building – with extinct species in the east wing and living species in the west.

The sculptures represent amazing creatures from nature’s diverse past, such as the ancient Great Palaeotherium and Pterodactyl, as well as present-day animals including the lion and cobra.

Waterhouse sketched every one of these sculptures in great detail, even asking Museum professors to check the scientific accuracy of his drawings, before creating the fantastic decorations that complement the Museum’s exhibitions.

Hidden treasures
High above the Museum’s main attractions there's another decorative feature that's easy to miss, unless you know where to look.

The building's gallery ceilings are adorned with intricate tiles displaying a vast array of plants from all over the world, with Hintze Hall's ceiling alone covered with 162 individual panels.

These beautifully designed tiles reflect an era when exotic plant specimens flooded into Britain, sparking public interest in botany and horticulture.

Evolution of the Museum
The Museum remained part of the British Museum until 1963, when a separate board of trustees was appointed, but it wasn't officially renamed the Natural History Museum until 1992.

In 1986, the Museum absorbed the adjacent Geological Museum of the British Geological Survey and its collection of more than 30,000 minerals. The Lasting Impressions gallery opened three years later to connect the two buildings.

The Darwin Centre opened to the public in 2009 and houses the Museum's historic collections as well as its working scientists. The centre's unique Cocoon structure displays the Museum's most important plant and insect specimen collections, and is equipped with state-of-the art research facilities used by more than 200 scientists.

Visitors can watch our scientists work in open-plan laboratories, where they study everything from the cocoa that Sloane brought back from Jamaica in the seventeenth century to malaria-carrying mosquitoes collected in 2008.


-




Fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti

colaboração:  Claudia Porto


--br via tradutor google

O Museu é uma atração do visitante de classe mundial e centro de pesquisa líder da ciência.


Usamos nossas coleções exclusivas e experiência inigualável para enfrentar os maiores desafios que o mundo enfrenta hoje.

Cuidamos de mais de 80 milhões de espécimes abrangendo milhares de milhões de anos, e receber mais de cinco milhões de visitantes anualmente.

O Museu abriu as suas portas em 18 de abril de 1881, mas as suas origens remontam a 1753 ea oferta generosa de um médico de renome, Sir Hans Sloane.

Sloane viajou o mundo tratar realeza e membros da alta sociedade, ao mesmo tempo cumprindo sua paixão por colecionar espécimes de história natural e artefatos culturais ao longo do caminho.

Após sua morte em 1753, a vontade de Sloane permitido Parlamento para comprar sua extensa coleção de mais de 71.000 itens para £ 20.000 - significativamente menos do que seu valor estimado.

O governo concordou em comprar a coleção de Sloane e depois construiu o Museu Britânico, para que esses itens podem ser exibidos ao público.

Em 1856, Sir Richard Owen - um brilhante cientista natural que surgiu com o nome de dinossauros - deixou seu papel como curador do Museu Hunterian e assumiu o comando da coleção de história natural do Museu Britânico.

Insatisfeito com a falta de espaço para a sua coleção cada vez maior de espécimes de história natural, Owen convenceu a diretoria do Museu Britânico de curadores que um edifício separado foi necessárias para abrigar estes tesouros nacionais.

Um plano arquitetônico áspera desenhada por Richard Owen, em 1859, intitulada "ideia de um Museu de História Natural '. O plano foi referido por Alfred Waterhouse na criação do Museu de História Natural, em Londres.

Em 1864, Francis Fowke, o arquiteto que projetou o Royal Albert Hall e partes do Victoria and Albert Museum, ganhou uma competição para projetar o Museu de História Natural.

Quando inesperadamente morreu um ano depois, o relativamente desconhecido Alfred Waterhouse assumiu e surgiu com um novo plano para o site da South Kensington.

Waterhouse usado terracota para todo o edifício como este material foi mais resistente ao clima rigoroso vitoriana de Londres.

O resultado é um dos exemplos mais marcantes da Grã-Bretanha da arquitetura românica, que é considerado uma obra de arte em seu próprio direito e se tornou um dos marcos mais emblemáticos de Londres.

A catedral da natureza
Enquanto o edifício reflete o estilo arquitectónico típico do Waterhouse, também é um monumento à visão de Owen do que um museu deve ser.

Em meados do século XIX, os museus eram caros lugares visitados apenas por uns poucos ricos, mas Owen insistiu o Museu de História Natural deve ser livre e ser acessível a todos.

exploradores vitorianos 'desenterrados regularmente novas espécies de animais e plantas exóticas de todo o Império Britânico, e Owen queria um edifício grande o suficiente para exibir essas novas descobertas no que ele chamou de uma catedral com a natureza.

previsão de Owen tem permitido o Museu de exibir muito grandes criaturas como baleias, elefantes e dinossauros, incluindo o elenco Diplodocus amado que foi em exposição no Museu durante os últimos 100 anos.

Ele também exigiu que o Museu ser decorada com ornamentos inspirados pela história natural. E ele insistiu que os espécimes de espécies extintas e que vivem mantidos separados numa altura em que a teoria da evolução de Charles Darwin estava revelando as ligações entre eles.

Junto com incorporando idéias de Owen em seus planos, Waterhouse também desenhou uma incrível série de ornamentos de animais e plantas, estátuas e relevos em todo o edifício - com espécies extintas na ala leste e espécies que vivem no Ocidente.

As esculturas representam criaturas incríveis do passado diversificada da natureza, como o antigo Grande Palaeotherium e Pterodactyl, bem como animais de hoje, incluindo o leão e cobra.

Waterhouse esboçou cada uma dessas esculturas em grande detalhe, mesmo pedindo professores Museu de verificar a precisão científica de seus desenhos, antes de criar as decorações fantásticas que complementam exposições do Museu.

Tesouros escondidos
Bem acima principais atrações do museu há uma outra característica decorativa que é fácil de perder, se você não sabe para onde olhar.

galeria tectos do edifício são decorados com azulejos intrincados exibindo uma vasta gama de plantas de todo o mundo, com teto de Hintze Salão sozinho coberto com 162 painéis individuais.

Estas telhas belamente projetadas refletem uma era em que espécimes de plantas exóticas invadiram a Grã-Bretanha, o que provocou o interesse público em botânica e horticultura.

Evolução do Museu
O Museu continuou a fazer parte do Museu Britânico até 1963, quando uma placa separada de curadores foi nomeado, mas não foi oficialmente rebatizado de Museu de História Natural até 1992.

Em 1986, o Museu absorveu o adjacente Museu Geológico da British Geological Survey e sua coleção de mais de 30.000 minerais. A galeria impressões duradouras abriu três anos mais tarde para conectar os dois edifícios.

O Centro de Darwin abriu ao público em 2009 e abriga coleções históricas do museu, bem como seus cientistas que trabalham. estrutura Cocoon única do centro exibe mais importantes coleções de plantas e de insetos espécimes do Museu, e está equipado com instalações de pesquisa state-of-the art utilizados por mais de 200 cientistas.

Os visitantes podem observar os nossos cientistas trabalham em laboratórios de plano aberto, onde estudam tudo, desde o cacau que Sloane trazido de volta da Jamaica no século XVII para mosquitos portadores de malária coletados em 2008.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário