Google+ Followers

sexta-feira, 20 de maio de 2016

Focusing initially on artists of African, Asian and Latin American descent, the Bronx Museum Permanent Collection was created in 1986 with the goal to reflect the borough's dynamic communities. Beyond The Veil focuses on an eclectic group of contemporary artists in the Permanent Collection whose works convey the complex mediation between the self and the other, between one’s allegiance to tradition and the appeal of globalism.


“It is a peculiar sensation,” wrote W.E.B. Du Bois, “this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others.” Although Du Bois (1868-1963) was clearly addressing the plight of African Americans in post-slavery society, his ideas about otherness gain renewed urgency in our era, marked by massive migration and ethnic strife. Indeed, and most remarkably, the artists featured in Beyond the Veil have opted to portray themselves on their own terms, bringing distinct senses of history onto the broader cultural debate. The exhibition also features a new series of paintings by Tim Rollins & K.O.S. made in collaboration with students from IS 218 and based on Du Bois’ seminal book Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil (1920).

Nina Chanel Abney
Your Gig Is Up, 2009
Acrylic on canvas
141 x 132.5 inches
The Bronx Museum of the Arts Permanent Collection
Gift of Zoë and Joel Dictrow
2014.3.1


The Bronx Museum of the Arts is an internationally recognized cultural destination that presents innovative contemporary art exhibitions and education programs and is committed to promoting cross-cultural dialogues for diverse audiences. Since its founding in 1971, the Museum has played a vital role in the Bronx by helping to make art accessible to the entire community and connecting with local schools, artists, teens, and families through its robust education initiatives and public programs. In celebration of its 40th anniversary, the Museum implemented a universal free admission policy, supporting its mission to make arts experiences available to all audiences.


In its first decade, The Bronx Museum of the Arts was housed in the public rotunda of the Bronx County Courthouse located on Grand Concourse and 161st Street. In 1982, it moved five blocks north on the Concourse to 165th street into a former synagogue purchased and donated by the City of New York. As part of the Museum's initiative to expand the scope of its youth and family programs, it began an ambitious capital project to enhance its facility. In February 2004, The Museum began construction on a 16,000 sq. ft. building to the north of the existing facility. Its design by the Miami-based firm Arquitectonica was awarded the "Excellence in Design" prize by The Art Commission of the City of New York in 2003. The $19 million space opened in October 2006 and features a major gallery, flexible events / program spaces, an outdoor terrace, and an entire floor dedicated to education programs and classrooms.








Fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário