Google+ Followers

domingo, 21 de maio de 2017

The designs of cloth, garments and masks manufactured from beaten tree bark are usually based on abstract patterns and geometric structures. examples of this fascinating technique from Oceania, but also from Indonesia, Africa and the Amazon region. --- Os desenhos de tecidos, roupas e máscaras fabricados a partir de casca de árvore batida são geralmente baseados em padrões abstratos e estruturas geométricas. Exemplos dessa técnica fascinante da Oceania, mas também da Indonésia, África e região amazônica.


Although often associated with the Pacific Islands, the production of barkcloth textiles represents a major craft tradition across the world.



AND THE BEAT GOES ON… as a spin-off to the COMMON THREAD is taking a fresh look at barkcloth materials. As the exhibits illustrate, rather than just a curious legacy of non-European cultures, barkcloth is a multifaceted and vibrant contemporary art form. The exhibits on show explore the traditional and contemporary significance of barkcloth in everyday life, ritual and art.

Free
Weltkulturen Labor, Schaumainkai 37




 THE HISTORY OF THE WELTKULTUREN MUSEUM.
Unlike the many ethnographic museums that emerged from royal ‘cabinets of curiosities’, the Weltkulturen Museum in Frankfurt was founded by citizens for citizens. Its beginnings date from 1817, the founding year of the Senckenberg Natural History Society. This society built up collections in natural science and initially also in ethnography. Its ethnographic collection was given to the city of Frankfurt in 1877, and was housed in a dedicated ethnological section of the Frankfurt Historical Museum.


On 22 October 1904, the “Städtisches Völkermuseum” opened at Münzgasse 1. The museum’s founder and first director (until 1919) was the privy councillor and physician Dr. Bernhard Hagen. Because of its rapidly growing collections – in 1904 there were 4000 objects, by 1908 there were 16,000 – the museum moved to a new home after only four years.

On 22 October 1908, the museum reopened, now in the spacious premises of the Palais Thurn und Taxis at Große Eschersheimer Strasse 26. The ethnographic artefacts were presented in a permanent display and research collection along with smaller special exhibitions (sixteen of them up to 1944).

In the period from 1919 to 1935, Dr. Johannes Lehmann, former assistant at the museum, was its acting director.

From 1935 to 1938, Professor Leo Frobenius directed the museum. According to the handover documentation, in 1935 the collection consisted of 30,075 objects. Frobenius was also the director of the Institut für Kulturmorphologie, and a tradition began: From then until 1969, the two institutions would be headed by the same person. The Palais Thurn und Taxis was renovated and redesigned in line with its new tasks.


When Leo Frobenius died on 3 August 1938, Dr. Adolf Ellegard Jensen, one of the museum’s curators, became the acting director. He remained in post until 1946. By the beginning of the Second World War, the “Städtisches Völkermuseum” had become Frankfurt’s most-visited museum.

In 1940, the museum was closed to the public. Dr. Karin Hahn-Hissink, an anthropologist attached to the museum, instigated and organised the evacuation of two-thirds of the museum’s collections to ten safe locations in Thuringia, Franconia and Bavaria.

A bombing in March 1944 destroyed the museum in the Palais Thurn und Taxis with all its remaining ethnographic artefacts, photographic archives, collection records, and research and administration files. All that survived was the majority of the inventory books. Thanks to Karin Hahn-Hissink’s forward thinking, the evacuated artefacts were undamaged.

In the post-war period, Frankfurt’s museums lay in ruins. The collections that had been rescued were kept in cellars, bunkers and in an emergency storage. Some of these cultural treasures were presented in temporary exhibitions. In this period – between 1945 and 1972 – the “Städtisches Völkermuseum” created thirty-one exhibitions held in many different locations inside and outside the city of Frankfurt. The exhibitions provided information on the research and collection activities that were resumed soon after the end of the war (starting in the 1950s).

In 1946, Professor Adolf Ellegard Jensen was appointed director. Until 1965, he was simultaneously director of the museum, the Frobenius Institut (formerly the Institute for Cultural Morphology) and the newly established anthropology department at the University of Frankfurt. In 1946 the name of the museum was changed from “Städtisches Völkermuseum” to “Städtisches Museum für Völkerkunde” ("Municipal Museum of Ethnology").

On 4 July 1954, the museum celebrated its fiftieth anniversary. Dr. vom Rath, the city councillor responsible for cultural affairs at the time, hoped to set aside a plot of land for a future new building, but despite the examination of twenty projects the plan could not be implemented.

In the 1960s, the museum’s name changed again, to “Museum für Völkerkunde der Stadt Frankfurt am Main” (Museum of Anthropology of the City of Frankfurt am Main).

From 1965 to 1966, Professor Carl August Schmitz was the director of the museum.

Professor Hermann Niggemeyer took on acting management of the museum in 1966 and was appointed director in 1967.

1969 saw the separation of the Frobenius Institut from the museum. The museum moved to a villa at Schaumainkai 29 on the bank of the River Main. The first plans were drawn up for a new building in the Museum Park, between Villa 29 on Schaumainkai and the Kutscherhaus on Metzelerstraße, which is where the restoration workshops have been housed ever since. The new-build plans were never realised, and were officially abandoned in the 1980s.

From 1972 to 1983, Dr. Heinz Kelm was the director of the museum.
Partly influenced by the student movement of the 1960s, from the 1970s heated debates began over contemporary tasks and objectives of ethnographic museums as institutions. In these discussions, anthropology drew inspiration from sociology, and the Frankfurt museum’s educational mission was seen primarily as a sociopolitical one. Well into the 1980s, the museum defined itself as an information centre for the ‘Third World’, with changing exhibitions that introduced the public to the history and lifestyles of other cultures and offered information on their current situation, particularly problems of the present day. Moving through the thematically and regionally defined exhibitions, visitors were always confronted with their own society and especially with the destructive influence of imperialism and neo-imperialism on the cultures and economies of ‘Third World’ peoples. Great value was placed on the critical explanation of social contexts. In this period, there was a radical rejection of the dusty display cabinets and unrealistic dioramas that characterised most ethnographic museums of the day.

In 1983 Dr. Johanna Agthe – curator of the museum’s Africa collections – became the acting director (until 1985).


From 1985 to 1999, Professor Josef Franz Thiel was director.

In the mid-1980s, the “Museum für Völkerkunde der Stadt Frankfurt am Main” moved away from the model of the 1970s – that is, the primarily sociopolitical exhibition that shunned sensual aspects in its design. New approaches, topics and exhibition projects began to take shape.

For the first time, exhibitions addressed questions around the anthropology of religion, myth and the phenomenon of xenophobia, using cultural comparison and critical contextual presentation. In addition, contemporary art was introduced as a new focal point of collecting, even though at the time there was no consensus within museum anthropology that such art was worthy of collection and exhibition in an ethnographic museum.

Between 1985 and 1992, the second and third rounds of planning for a new museum of ethnology in the Museum Park were undertaken. In terms of content, detailed plans for the new building were completed right down to the selection of exhibits for each room. Despite this intensive preliminary work a lack of funds put paid to the new building.

Working with the collection’s historical ethnographic photographs, Professor Josef Franz Thiel systematically built up an image archive for the museum. Since it was established in 1987, its holdings have grown steadily through gifts, bequests of private papers and new purchases.

In 1987, the museum’s biggest post-1945 exhibition opened at the Schirn Kunsthalle in Frankfurt am Main. Entitled “Neuguinea. Nutzung und Deutung der Umwelt“ (New Guinea. Uses and Interpretations of the Environment), the exhibition displayed very large objects that could never have been shown to Frankfurt citizens in the Schaumainkai villa.

In the 1990s, the museum was extended along Schaumainkai, adding the villas at nos. 35 and 37 to the existing premises at no. 29. The new villas, along with the workshops in the Kutscherhaus, were fully renovated. A few years later, the fourth set of plans took shape for a large ethnographic exhibition space, this time based on the designs of artist Claus Bury.

The association “Friends of the Weltkulturen Museum” was founded in 1993. Ever since then it has accompanied and supported the museum’s many different activities.

From 1997 to 1998, the museum’s main building (Schaumainkai 29) remained closed for renovation.

In October 1998 the villa reopened with the exhibition “Talofa! Samoa, South Seas”.

The facades of the villas at nos. 35 and 37 were restored between 1988 and 2000.

From 1999, the acting directorship passed back to Dr. Johanna Agthe, curator of the Africa collection.

In 2000, Dr. Anette Rein became director of the museum (until 2008).
The “Interkulturelle Atelier“ (IKAT) was founded as a dedicated museum educational department.

In 2001, the museum was renamed “Museum der Weltkulturen” ("Museum of World Cultures").
Exhibitions and events cast a critical light on issues such as the meaning of life, death, ancestry, gender and age.
A fifth round of planning for a new exhibition building took place; this one, too, came to nothing.

Despite its new home on the southern bank of the Main, the museum continued the tradition of displaying its collections in different locations across Germany and abroad. Between 1975 and 2004, a total of thirty-nine of such large and small exhibitions were presented.

In 2003, the Museum der Weltkulturen launched an online magazine, “Journal Ethnologie” (headed by Ulrike Krasberg, who was responsible for the idea, project management and editing between 2003 and 2009). With sections on current topics, world music, interviews, exhibitions and media coverage, the journal published contributions by scholars in anthropology and cultural studies. www.journal-ethnologie.de

In 2004, discussions on the new building were resumed (sixth round of planning). This time the exhibition hall was to be combined with a parking lot underneath the river. Again, the plans were not realised.

On 22 October 2004, the museum celebrated its centenary. For the occasion, the Museum der Weltkulturen opened up parts of the museum’s collection that were usually closed to the public, presenting selected artefacts in the exhibition “Ansichtssachen aus 100 Jahren. Museum der Weltkulturen Frankfurt am Main” (Points of View from 100 Years).

From 2008 to 2010, Dr. Christine Stelzig, curator of the museum’s Africa collection, became the acting director.

In 2010, Dr. Clémentine Deliss was appointed director of the museum. Since then, the institution has been known as the “Weltkulturen Museum”.

For the seventh time, plans were drawn up for an extension to the museum. The architectural competition was won by the Berlin practice Kuehn Malvezzi, with designs that offered ideal spatial conditions for the museum’s role as a pioneering hub for exhibitions, education, research and artistic production. Because of the current budget situation, plans for an extension of the Weltkulturen Museum were postponed. The museum will now try to present some of its large-format treasures to the public outside its own limited spaces.

In 2011, the villas at the Schaumainkai were renovated.

On 4th February 2011, the “Weltkulturen Labor” opened in the villa at Schaumainkai 37. The villa houses exhibition spaces, the project space “Green Room”, an event room, guest apartments, studios, and the collection Visual Anthropology

On 19th April 2011, the “Green Room” in the Weltkulturen Labor opened with the exhibition “DAN REES“. Since then ten exhibitions were shown there.

On 25th January 2012, the villa at Schaumainkai 29 reopened with the path-breaking exhibition “OBJECT ATLAS. Fieldwork in the Museum”.
The Weltkulturen Museum’s education department is located on the second floor of this villa.




fonte: @edisonmariotti #edisonmariotti


Cultura não é o que entra pelos olhos e ouvidos,
mas o que modifica o jeito de olhar e ouvir. 
A cultura e o amor devem estar juntos.

Vamos compartilhar.

Culture is not what enters the eyes and ears, 
but what modifies the way of looking and hearing.






--br via tradutor do google

Os desenhos de tecidos, roupas e máscaras fabricados a partir de casca de árvore batida são geralmente baseados em padrões abstratos e estruturas geométricas. Exemplos dessa técnica fascinante da Oceania, mas também da Indonésia, África e região amazônica.



Embora muitas vezes associada com as ilhas do Pacífico, a produção de têxteis barkcloth representa uma tradição artesanal importante em todo o mundo.

E a batida vai ... como um spin-off para o fio comum está tomando um olhar fresco em materiais barkcloth. Como as exposições ilustram, ao invés de apenas um legado curioso de culturas não-européias, barkcloth é uma forma de arte contemporânea multifacetada e vibrante. As exposições em exposição explorar o significado tradicional e contemporânea de barkcloth na vida cotidiana, ritual e arte.

Livre
Weltkulturen Trabalho, Schaumainkai 37



-
A HISTÓRIA DO MUSEU WELTKULTUREN

Ao contrário dos muitos museus etnográficos que surgiram dos "gabinetes de curiosidades" reais, o Museu Weltkulturen em Frankfurt foi fundado por cidadãos para cidadãos. Os seus primórdios datam de 1817, o ano fundador da Senckenberg Natural History Society. Esta sociedade construiu coleções em ciências naturais e inicialmente também em etnografia. Sua coleção etnográfica foi dada à cidade de Frankfurt, em 1877, e foi alojada em uma seção etnológica dedicada do Museu Histórico de Frankfurt.

Em 22 de outubro de 1904, o "Städtisches Völkermuseum" abriu em Münzgasse 1. O fundador e o primeiro diretor do museu (até 1919) foi o conselheiro e médico Dr. Bernhard Hagen. Devido às suas coleções em rápido crescimento - em 1904 havia 4.000 objetos, em 1908 havia 16.000 - o museu mudou-se para uma nova casa depois de apenas quatro anos.

Em 22 de outubro de 1908, o museu reabriu, agora nas espaçosas instalações do Palais Thurn und Taxis na Große Eschersheimer Strasse 26. Os artefatos etnográficos foram apresentados em uma exibição permanente e coleção de pesquisa, juntamente com exposições especiais menores (dezesseis até 1944 ).

No período de 1919 a 1935, o Dr. Johannes Lehmann, ex-assistente no museu, foi seu diretor interino.

De 1935 a 1938, o professor Leo Frobenius dirigiu o museu. De acordo com a documentação de entrega, em 1935 a coleção consistiu em 30.075 objetos. Frobenius foi também diretor do Institut für Kulturmorphologie, e uma tradição começou: desde então, até 1969, as duas instituições seriam lideradas pela mesma pessoa. O Palais Thurn und Taxis foi renovado e redesenhado de acordo com suas novas tarefas.

Quando Leo Frobenius morreu em 3 de agosto de 1938, o Dr. Adolf Ellegard Jensen, um dos curadores do museu, tornou-se diretor interino. Ele permaneceu no cargo até 1946. No início da Segunda Guerra Mundial, o "Städtisches Völkermuseum" tornou-se o museu mais visitado de Frankfurt.

Em 1940, o museu estava fechado para o público. A Dra. Karin Hahn-Hissink, uma antropóloga anexada ao museu, instigou e organizou a evacuação de dois terços das coleções do museu para dez locais seguros na Turíngia, Francônia e Baviera.

Um bombardeio em março de 1944 destruiu o museu no Palais Thurn und Taxis com todos os seus artefatos etnográficos remanescentes, arquivos fotográficos, registros de coleção e arquivos de pesquisa e administração. Tudo o que sobreviveu foi a maioria dos livros de inventário. Graças ao pensamento avançado de Karin Hahn-Hissink, os artefatos evacuados não estavam danificados.

No período pós-guerra, os museus de Frankfurt ficaram em ruínas. As coleções que foram resgatadas foram mantidas em adegas, bunkers e em um armazenamento de emergência. Alguns desses tesouros culturais foram apresentados em exposições temporárias. Neste período - entre 1945 e 1972 - o "Städtisches Völkermuseum" criou trinta e uma exposições realizadas em diferentes locais dentro e fora da cidade de Frankfurt. As exposições forneceram informações sobre as atividades de pesquisa e coleta que foram retomadas logo após o fim da guerra (a partir da década de 1950).

Em 1946, o professor Adolf Ellegard Jensen foi nomeado diretor. Até 1965, foi simultaneamente diretor do museu, Frobenius Institut (anteriormente Instituto de Morfologia Cultural) e o recém-criado departamento de antropologia da Universidade de Frankfurt. Em 1946, o nome do museu foi mudado de "Städtisches Völkermuseum" para "Städtisches Museum für Völkerkunde" ("Museu Municipal de Etnologia").

Em 4 de julho de 1954, o museu celebrou seu cinquenta aniversário. O Dr. vom Rath, o conselheiro municipal responsável pelos assuntos culturais na época, esperava deixar de lado um terreno para um novo prédio futuro, mas, apesar do exame de vinte projetos, o plano não pôde ser implementado.

Na década de 1960, o nome do museu mudou novamente, para "Museum für Völkerkunde der Stadt Frankfurt am Main" (Museu de Antropologia da Cidade de Frankfurt am Main).

De 1965 a 1966, o professor Carl August Schmitz foi o diretor do museu.

O professor Hermann Niggemeyer assumiu a gestão de atuação do museu em 1966 e foi nomeado diretor em 1967.

1969 viu a separação do Instituto Frobenius do museu. O museu mudou-se para uma villa em Schaumainkai 29, no margem do rio Main. Os primeiros planos foram elaborados para um novo edifício no Parque dos Museus, entre a Villa 29 em Schaumainkai e o Kutscherhaus em Metzelerstraße, onde são as oficinas de restauração desde então. Os planos de nova construção nunca foram realizados, e foram oficialmente abandonados na década de 1980.

De 1972 a 1983, o Dr. Heinz Kelm foi o diretor do museu.

Em parte influenciado pelo movimento estudantil da década de 1960, a partir da década de 1970 acalorados debates começaram por tarefas contemporâneas e objetivos de museus etnográficos como instituições. Nessas discussões, a antropologia inspirou-se na sociologia, e a missão educacional do museu de Frankfurt foi vista principalmente como uma questão sociopolítica. Bem na década de 1980, o museu definiu-se como um centro de informação para o "Terceiro Mundo", com exposições em mudança que introduziram o público sobre a história e os estilos de vida de outras culturas e ofereceram informações sobre a situação atual, particularmente os problemas do presente. Através das exposições temáticas e regionais, os visitantes sempre foram confrontados com a própria sociedade e especialmente com a influência destrutiva do imperialismo e do neo-imperialismo nas culturas e economias dos povos do "Terceiro Mundo". Grande valor foi colocado na explicação crítica dos contextos sociais. Neste período, houve uma rejeição radical das exposições empoeiradas e dioramas irrealistas que caracterizaram a maioria dos museus etnográficos do dia.

Em 1983, a Dra. Johanna Agthe - curadora das coleções africanas do museu - tornou-se o diretor interino (até 1985).

De 1985 a 1999, o professor Josef Franz Thiel foi diretor.

Em meados da década de 1980, o "Museum für Völkerkunde der Stadt Frankfurt am Main" se afastou do modelo da década de 1970 - ou seja, a exposição principalmente sociopolítica que evitou os aspectos sensuais no seu design. Novas abordagens, tópicos e projetos expositivos começaram a tomar forma.

Pela primeira vez, as exposições abordaram questões sobre a antropologia da religião, do mito e do fenômeno da xenofobia, utilizando comparações culturais e apresentação contextual crítica. Além disso, a arte contemporânea foi introduzida como um novo ponto focal de coleta, embora na época não existisse consenso dentro da antropologia do museu que tal arte fosse digna de coleta e exibição em um museu etnográfico.

Entre 1985 e 1992, foram realizadas as segunda e terceira rodadas de planejamento para um novo museu de etnologia no Parque dos Museus. Em termos de conteúdo, os planos detalhados para o novo edifício foram concluídos até a seleção de exposições para cada sala. Apesar deste intenso trabalho preliminar, a falta de fundos foi paga ao novo prédio.

Trabalhando com as fotografias etnográficas históricas da coleção, o professor Josef Franz Thiel construiu sistematicamente um arquivo de imagem para o museu. Desde a sua criação em 1987, as suas participações cresceram constantemente através de presentes, legados de papéis privados e novas compras.

Em 1987, a maior exposição pós-1945 do museu abriu no Schirn Kunsthalle em Frankfurt am Main. Intitulado "Neuguinea. Nutzung und Deutung der Umwelt "(Nova Guiné. Usos e Interpretações do Meio Ambiente), a exposição exibiu objetos muito grandes que nunca poderiam ter sido exibidos para cidadãos de Frankfurt na villa de Schaumainkai.

Na década de 1990, o museu foi prolongado ao longo de Schaumainkai, adicionando as moradias nos nos. 35 e 37 às instalações existentes no nº. 29. As novas moradias, juntamente com as oficinas do Kutscherhaus, foram totalmente renovadas. Poucos anos depois, o quarto conjunto de planos tomou forma para um grande espaço expositivo etnográfico, desta vez baseado nos desenhos do artista Claus Bury.

A associação "Friends of the Weltkulturen Museum" foi fundada em 1993. Desde então, acompanhou e apoiou as diversas atividades do museu.

De 1997 a 1998, o edifício principal do museu (Schaumainkai 29) permaneceu fechado para renovação.

Em outubro de 1998, a villa reabriu com a exposição "Talofa! Samoa, mares do sul ".

As fachadas das moradias nos nos. 35 e 37 foram restaurados entre 1988 e 2000.

A partir de 1999, a diretoria em ação passou de volta para a Dra. Johanna Agthe, curadora da coleção África.

Em 2000, o Dr. Anette Rein tornou-se diretor do museu (até 2008).

O "Interkulturelle Atelier" (IKAT) foi fundado como um departamento educacional dedicado ao museu.

Em 2001, o museu foi renomeado "Museum der Weltkulturen" ("Museum of World Cultures").

Exposições e eventos lançaram uma luz crítica sobre questões como o significado da vida, morte, ascendência, gênero e idade.

Uma quinta rodada de planejamento para um novo edifício de exposição ocorreu; Esse também não chegou a nada.

Apesar da sua nova casa no banco sul do Main, o museu continuou a tradição de exibir suas coleções em diferentes locais na Alemanha e no exterior. Entre 1975 e 2004, um total de trinta e nove exposições tão grandes e pequenas foram apresentadas.

Em 2003, o Museum der Weltkulturen lançou uma revista on-line, "Journal Ethnologie" (liderada por Ulrike Krasberg, responsável pela idéia, gerenciamento de projetos e edição entre 2003 e 2009). Com seções sobre temas atuais, música mundial, entrevistas, exposições e cobertura de mídia, a revista publicou contribuições de estudiosos em estudos antropológicos e culturais. 
www.journal-ethnologie.de

Em 2004, as discussões sobre o novo edifício foram retomadas (sexta rodada de planejamento). Desta vez, o salão de exposição deveria ser combinado com um estacionamento embaixo do rio. Mais uma vez, os planos não foram realizados.

Em 22 de outubro de 2004, o museu celebrou seu centenário. Para a ocasião, o Museum der Weltkulturen abriu partes da coleção do museu que geralmente eram fechadas ao público, apresentando artefatos selecionados na exposição "Ansichtssachen aus 100 Jahren. Museum der Weltkulturen Frankfurt am Main "(pontos de vista de 100 anos).

De 2008 a 2010, a Dra. Christine Stelzig, curadora da coleção africana do museu, tornou-se o diretor interino.

Em 2010, a Dra. Clémentine Deliss foi nomeada diretora do museu. Desde então, a instituição é conhecida como o "Museu Weltkulturen".

Pela sétima vez, os planos foram elaborados para uma extensão do museu. O concurso de arquitetura foi conquistado pela prática de Berlim, Kuehn Malvezzi, com projetos que ofereciam condições espaciais ideais para o papel do museu como centro pioneiro para exposições, educação, pesquisa e produção artística. Por causa da situação orçamentária atual, os planos para uma extensão do Museu Weltkulturen foram adiados. O museu agora tentará apresentar alguns dos seus tesouros de grande formato ao público, além dos seus espaços limitados.

Em 2011, as moradias do Schaumainkai foram renovadas.

Em 4 de fevereiro de 2011, o "Weltkulturen Labor" abriu na villa em Schaumainkai 37. A moradia abriga espaços de exposição, o espaço do projeto "Green Room", uma sala de eventos, apartamentos convidados, estúdios e a coleção de Antropologia Visual.

Em 19 de abril de 2011, o "Green Room" no Weltkulturen Labor abriu com a exposição "DAN REES". Desde então, foram exibidas dez exposições.

Em 25 de janeiro de 2012, a vila de Schaumainkai 29 reabriu com a exposição itinerante "OBJECT ATLAS. Trabalho de campo no museu ".

O departamento de educação do Museu Weltkulturen está localizado no segundo andar desta vila.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário